On the Connecticut Wine Trail - Hopkins Vineyard


The last weekend of summer! And what better way to spend it than sampling a little vino on a Sunday afternoon. Nestled into the western hills of Litchfield County we found ourselves at the Hopkins Vineyard (oh - how did we get here!) where our friend and fellow blogger Bird-in-the-Hand was helping out at the Fall Harvest Wine Festival. She was working full stop and unfortunately couldn't join us as we consumed lots of lovely cheese, fruit, pate and of course, wine! We tasted a handful of varietals, decided our favorite and then bought the whole bottle - why fool around on the last day of summer? Winter is coming!
Located in New Preston, Connecticut along the banks of Lake Waramaug, the vineyard sits up on a hill overlooking the lake with The Hopkins Inn as it's neighbor. We bumped into a few friends who had the same idea, including our canine friend "Boddington" who seems to travel in the same social circles. Granted, his owners Meg & Mo from Two Ladies in Waiting were there also. It was a glorious day and ended too quickly. We are known for our "Indian Summers" here in New England, meaning an autumn with gorgeous sunny days and cool nights. Hopefully, this one will last well into October!

Lake Waramaug

Hopkin's Vineyard Gift Shop



The Vineyard and below...The Vino!




The Hopkins Inn, New Preston, Connecticut

And just down the road a piece...

A yellow Greek Revival Colonial on a hill
overlooking the lake.




For more information on the Connecticut Wine Trail...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to bump into you -- but we sadly lost you! We plopped down in a piece of shade right by the barn, killed that hard-won bottle, and the jetted to Litchfield for lunch. Bodsie's relationship with the "Magic Cheese Grass" became too much to take.

heidi said...

What a lovely wine trail you have over there! I never knew!

SandraRee said...

Looks like so much fun! Beautiful pictures, Marie Louise!

Robin said...

So that's what was going on outside! And I missed it all ;-(

That little kid catching frogs in the cow pond with the net - he and his family come to every festival, I remember them from when I worked there full time 7 years ago!

Camille said...

Gorgeous vineyard and I love those labels! I'm a sucker for a nifty label.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a beautiful place....I love the silo covered in ivy! Thanks for taking us there...


annie

Laura in Paris said...

Lake Waramaug looks beautiful!

Sabina said...

What wonderful photos -- I would love to visit that side of the U.S some day.

Happy Friday!!

DeniseinVA said...

Great post and I love all these pictures :)

Fifi Flowers said...

HOW WONDERFUL! I'm soooo jealous! That sounds wonderful! You had FUN while Robin worked... I hope she got a glass at the end!
I have not forgotten to pass on the blog love... I will next week... I've been crazy busy.
ENJOY your weekend! You probably have something wonderful to do!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What a gorgeous place!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so blogland is way too small of a world. I came across your blog, which is wonderful btw, and couldn't help but notice you had friends with a dog named Boddington. Huh, me too! Those crazy girls get around :) I went to school with Mo! Your blog is great, and I guess we're neighbors too! Wow, surreal.

Marie Louise said...

Hi Courtney, yes it is a small world. And yes, "those crazy girls" do get around. I'm steering clear for the moment though because with my brown hair Meg might mistake me for Sarah Palin, and then who knows what would happen! You can see what I mean at their site above (Twoladiesinwaiting).

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." --George Eliot