ANDREW WYETH (1917-2009)

Known today as the Master of American Realism, Andrew Wyeth was one of the most popular artist's of our time. Already a celebrity in the 1920s, with the likes of novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald and silent film star Mary Pickford among his admirers, he created art and controversy for most of the 20th century.
Rejected by art critics - they said he gave realism a bad name - he went on to create some of the most compelling art of the century. To read about his life, read Michael Kimmelman's article in The New York Times.

Wyeth's Home in Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania


Christina's World (1948)

Public Sale (1943)

Trodden Weed (1951)

Braids (1979)

Lovers (1981)

The Carry (2003)

Day Dream (1980)


"I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious." - Andrew Wyeth

Other Artists

5 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

THank you for this postabout Amdrew Wyeth. I had missed the article in the Times.

Pratishtha Durga said...

These are awesome! Thanks for this post. Will read up more on him.

robin ann mcintosh said...

wonderful quote, so true. so very, very true. I think I do a bit more of everything artistic when I'm not doing it...

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I remember being "wowed" by Christina's World when I first saw it in college. Still am. He was a gifted artist with such a unique eye.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Loved this post about Wyeth. Great photos!

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." --George Eliot